Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

A Lamentation of a Broken Man

(The following is not from the Bible, it is a poetic piece taken from the story of Job in the Bible. A lamentation in its nature begins very negatively and then works its way through to end positively...so keep reading! Enjoy!)

My heart is torn, shredded. With each new visitor the pain only builds. Each word is a blow to my throat, searing pain, gasping for air. I fall to my face. I cannot bare another, yet they keep coming at me.
I have lost it all. Nothing I care for remains. All that I have has vanished.

I feel so empty, as if my very soul has been torn from my body.  There is nothing left but an empty shell.

Why would this happen? I never did anything to deserve this!

The shallow grave that I have been buried in leaves me just enough alive to hear, to even see but unable to move or speak.

"Healing will come" they say. How would you know?
When has this happened to you? Please do tell!

If I shouted at the top of my lunges they wouldn't hear me, yet I hear them and they talk on about "the promises" and "the plan"!


You foolish men sitting in your lofty thrones looking down at me, mocking my pain and condemning my choices.

"You must have done something to bring this upon you!" they insist. Yet they look at my life and cannot find a reason.

 I am uncertain of what great ruler has given you the right to damn the innocent. You mock the wise and call them fools. You are the fool for thinking yourself greater than your brother.

I look to the Lord in my trouble. He is mute and offers no explanation for my pain.

I cower in darkness, licking my wounds and begging for death. What more do I have to live for? What purpose could this empty life serve?

The world is a harsh place, sparing me nothing but ones who only grieve me more.

No words can describe my emotions, no man can claim to understand. There is no life in me worth living.

The point that I have reached only death could be considered worse but even still at least I would have relief. My skin pains me for simply being in it.

There is no comfort left. No emotional comfort. No physical comfort. Nothing but pain remains. It is not the dull pain that you can simply live with; it burns deep in the layers of my being causing nothing but anguish all day long.

If only I could go back and strangle my own life away while still in the womb. For it would be better to have never lived than face this great sorrow.

"You did this. You suffer for it was your own doing!" he says. He rambles on telling me off all my sins.

Your youth deceives you. You think yourself wise yet you have never lived the days to gain the wisdom!

The darkness overwhelms me. I ask "Why?" again I question Your divinity.

Out of my sorrow You break through, like lightning in the night. You strike like a serpent. Hasty, cutting deep.

I am silenced by Your words. How great is Your wisdom, Oh Creator!I know nothing, I am but an infant, like a ant in comparison to Your greatness.

Who can measure up to You?
Who dare interrogate You?
"I demand a reason!" how dare I ever say those words to You, Oh Master.
I bow powerless at Your feet, begging for forgiveness. Strike me down for my doubt, I do not deserve to be in Your presence.
The demons that once haunted my mind recoil in fear. Who dare stand against the Maker of all that was made?

You exist outside existence itself. You rule over all and nothing rules over You.How great are you, Oh Maker. How great are you, Oh Destroyer.You give what You see fit and You take what You find necessary. Not one of Your actions is faulty. Not one of Your words untrue.Magnificent, abundant and relentless is Your love and power.
Hallelujah, praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment